The ISO 27001 focuses on Information security management system (ISMS). The last version of ISO 27001 was published in 2013 by the International Organization for standardization and International Electronic Commission (ISE). ISO 27001:2013 based on how to manage information safety in a company, it provides security to your organization’s assets such as financial information, commercial information, IT systems, classified data of people, projects and much more should be secured by implementing risk management process in the organization.
According to its documentation, ISO 27001 was formed to produce a guide for implementing, monitoring, establishing, operating, reviewing, managing and upgrading an information security management system. ISO 27001 can be implemented by any of the organization, whether it’s small or large, private or state-owned, profit or non-profit. It’s essential to note that ISO 27001 does not work individually. Instead, it requires input by management to consider the security risks present and take suitable actions based on the threats and vulnerabilities present. Management will have to create and execute their own security controls or other forms of risk management, i.e. risk avoidance or risk transfer, to address the problems present.
Also, check ——>> ISO 27001 certification in Sri Lanka
What’s the need for ISO 27001?
The standard was set to bring businesses with a certain degree of information security protection. ISO 27001 sets out different controls that need to be in place to measure up to the certification requirements such as:
- Identifying potential information security risks.
- Providing a secure framework for the ideal implementation and management of controls.
- Properly manage compliance with laws and regulations.
- Outlining the objectives of information security management.
- Underlining the information security policies, standards and processes to be followed by businesses.
Benefits Of ISO 27001
- Security of the classified data of a company.
- The trust of consumer and stakeholders in risk management of your company.
- Preserves assets of your company.
- Divine risks in the company.
- Catalogs manage and reduce risks.
- Increased business resilience.
- Preserves the goodwill and reliability of your company.
- A contentious advantage over other companies.
- Improved customer and business partner confidence.
- A lower expense due to risk evaluation.
- Provides secure exchange of the data.
- Built maintenance and handle programs in the company.
ISO 27001 Controls
ISO 27001 although does not directly make any information security control an imperative, it does have a controls-checklist which should be carried into account when abiding with code of practices (ISO 27002). The main sections include:
- Risk Management.
- Security Policy.
- Information Security.
- Asset Management.
- Human Resource Security.
- Environment Security.
- Communications and Operations Management.
- Access Control.
- Information System Acquisition.
- Information Security Incident Management.
- Business Continuity Management.
How does ISO 27001 work?
ISO 27001 works on a top-down, technology-neutral, risk-based approach. The specification defines a six-part plan process:
- Establish security management.
- Manage the range of the (ISMS) information security management system.
- Convoy a risk assessment.
- Control identified risks.
- Select-control goals and controls to be performed.
- Develop a statement of applicability.
ISO 27001 draws coordination among all sections of an organization and improves management accountability, assures constant improvement, handles internal audits and undertakes corrective and defensive actions.
How To Obtain ISO 27001
To implement ISO 27001 in your organization, you have to follow these 10 steps:
- Get top management support.
- Organize a management structure.
- Conduct a risk assessment.
- Perform the risk assessment and risk treatment.
- Conduct training.
- Review and update the required documentation.
- Measure, monitor, and review.
- Conduct an internal audit.
- Registration/certification audits.
Also, check ——>> ISO 27001 consultant in Sri Lanka
To make the ISO 27001 Certification process simple. You should hire a consultant when a consultant received your application they will guide you and your business through the following steps.
- Gap analysis
- Formal assessment
- Internal Audit
- External Audit
- ISO 27001 Plan & how to get Certified
- Certification and beyond