BIFMA stands for Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturer’s Association, BIFMA was established in 1973, BIFMA certification is the not‐for-profit trade association for business and institutional furniture manufacturers. BIFMA certification focuses on developing, designing and marketing of office and institutional furniture products.
BIFMA is also authorized by ANSI to be the director of the U.S. Technical Advisory Group to ISO Technical Committee TC-136 Furniture. This has been so helpful for BIFMA in its engagement with International Standards for office furniture. However, ISO TC-136 covers ALL furniture. Those who are interested in International Standards for furniture another than office furniture they should obtain BIFMA certification. There are over 1,200 ANSI-authorized standards set in place that are created to protect customers, the workforce as a quantity and the common public. ANSI is responsible for the first American Standard Safety Code, published in 1921, which showed the value of both head security and eye protection for industrial workers.
BIFMA certification provides healthy, productive and comfortable workspaces – rests on a base of engineering and materials standards architects, interior designers, facility managers, and other overall industries with an easy process to identify frequently sustainable products. BIFMA provides a competing advantage of building performance criteria that focuses on the improvement of environmental and social aspects through the supply chain.
Also, check ——>> BIFMA Certification in Saudi Arabia
BIFMA Product Safety and Performance Standards and Guidelines
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.1 Office Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.4 Lounge and Public Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X6.4 Occasional-Use Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.5 Desk Products
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.6 Panel Systems
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.9 Storage
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.11 Large Occupant Office Seating
- ANSI/BIFMA X6.1 Educational Seating
- ANSI/SOHO S6.5 Small Office/Home Office
- ANSI/BIFMA M7.1 Standard Test Method for Determining VOC Emissions
- ANSI/BIFMA X7.1 Standard for Formaldehyde and TVOC Emissions
- ANSI/BIFMA e3 Furniture Sustainability Standard
- BIFMA HCF 8.1 – Healthcare Furniture Design – Guidelines for Cleanability
- BIFMA G1 – 2013 Ergonomics Guideline for Furniture
- BIFMA Color – 2005 Color Measurement
- BIFMA PCR for Office Furniture Workspace Products: UNCPC3814
- BIFMA PCR for Seating: UNCPC 3811
- BIFMA PCR for Storage: UNCPC 3812
- BIFMA PD-1-2017 Mechanical Test Standards-Compiled Definitions
- BIFMA Sustainability Guidelines for Office Furniture – 2005
- BIFMA Tex4.1 – 2005 Woven Textile Characteristics
Benefits of BIFMA Certification
There are some advantages to buying BIFMA approved furniture. There is insurance that any BIFMA-authorized furniture has met harsh standards for safety. You can feel positive in the fact that any piece of BIFMA-approved furniture will help promote a working environment that is practical and healthy.
- BIFMA products enhance a healthful work environment, which can boost productivity and reduce work-related injuries.
- Helps your internal sustainable management objectives.
- Customers and shareholders have confidence & trust in you.
- Establishes your management credentials in the office furniture industry.
- Establishes a path for constant improvement.
- Helps you meet state and federal procurement necessities.
- Most BIFMA certified products carry a warranty of 5 years or longer.
- BIFMA certificate provides assurance and preference to your customers and stakeholders on the economic, social and environmental standard of the products.
- Your product is certified to meet the International standard of furniture products quality maintenance and development.
- There is an ongoing improvement in your organization.
- Anticipate risks and opportunities.
- Product quality is improved to meet BIFMA requirements.
- Mandates continuous monitoring & measurement of the processes that prevent unintended derailments.
- BIFMA certification ensures a durable and long-lasting product that will last many years.
Also, check ——>> BIFMA Consultant in Saudi Arabia
How to Get BIFMA Certification
To make the BIFMA Certification process simple. You should hire a consultant when a consultant received your application they will guide you and your business through the following steps.
- Gap analysis
- Formal assessment
- Internal Audit
- External Audit
- BIFMA Plan & how to get Certified
- Certification and beyond